Istikhara is a particular type of prayer in Islamic theology. It is performed when a person is confused or conflicted about any matter in his life. It can be conducted usually at night, but it is not paramount as it can be performed even in the daytime.
How to perform Istikhara
The method of performing it is as under;
- Perform wudu.
- Make niyyah and perform two rakat nafl prayers.
- Make the topic of interest clear in your head.
- After completing prayers, recite the dua of istikhara, and while reciting it, consciously have the topic present in your mind for which you are performing it.
- Make dua from the glorious Allah about that topic and seek whatever is better for you.
- Go to bed without communicating with others and try to avoid unusual activities after making dua.
- In accordance with the sunnah of Prophet Muhammed (peace and blessing be upon him), you should sleep on the right half of your body.
Dua for Istikhara
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْتَخِيرُكَ بِعِلْمَكَ، وَأَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ، وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيمِ، فَإِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلَا أَقْدِرُ، وَتَعْلَمُ، وَلَا أَعْلَمُ، وَأَنْتَ عَلَّامُ الْغُيُوبِ، اللَّهُمَّ إِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الْأَمْرَ- خَيْرٌ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي- عَاجِلِهِ وَآجِلِهِ- فَاقْدُرْهُ لِي وَيَسِّرْهُ لِي ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِي فِيهِ، وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الْأَمْرَ شَرٌّ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي- عَاجِلِهِ وَآجِلِه
Translation: “O, Allah! I ask guidance from Your knowledge, And Power from Your Might, and I ask for Your great blessings. You are capable, and I am not. You know, and I do not, and You know the unseen.
Short dua for Istikhara
There is another short dua for istikhara. This short dua should be recited when a person does not have enough time to make a decision or istikhara prayer related to his matter.
You should continuously recite it until the issue is solved or your heart weighs toward the particular decision.
Can Istikhara be performed by someone else for another person?
Letting other people pray your Istikhara is exceedingly common in our society, but it is a very wrong approach. The shikhara is between Allah and the person who carries it out. Getting istikhara done by someone else is entirely useless.
What if Istikhara goes against our will?
It might be possible that Istikhara goes entirely against your wish, and if this happens, you must stick with it. This is because any decision that comes out of this is Allah’s decision for you.
What will be the signs of Istikhara?
The answer might be in the form of any dream. If the dream seems optimistic to you, go for its implementation; if it’s not, restrain yourself against it.
Istikhara is a great blessing of Allah. The person must involve Allah in their decision, which will help them make beneficial choices.