What Is a Serum?
Facial Serums are skincare products meant to rapidly deliver their specific skincare benefit to the skin more potently and effectively than a moisturizer.
Serums are usually water-based or gel-like products containing highly concentrated and more potent versions of active ingredients.
Like, hyaluronic acid, retinol, vitamin C, niacinamide, and more.
The purpose of active ingredients in serum can vary, from hydrating to skin brightening to wrinkle-reducing.
Those active ingredients’ highly concentrated and potent dose penetrates deeper into the skin and targets a range of skin concerns more effectively.
List Of Top Ten Best Face Serums In The World
- SkinCeuticals, C, E & Ferulic Acid
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10%+ Zinc 1%
- CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic acid serum
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum
- Paula’s Choice (Omega+ Complex Serum)
- Neutrogena (Hydro Boost Hydrating Serum)
- Clinique (Acne Solutions Acne + Line Correcting Serum)
- Bioderma Hydrabio Serum
- SkinCeuticals (Discoloration Defense)
- REN Clean Skincare Evercalm Redness Relief Serum
What are the Benefits of Face Serums?
Suppose you want to enhance your skincare regime. In that case, face serum can be the product that delivers a potent dosage of active ingredients to help you combat wrinkles, fine lines, dullness, acne, discoloration, and much more.
It protects, nourishes, and hydrates your skin if used religiously. Let’s get into the key benefits of using a face serum.
- Serums have lighter formulations than moisturizers, so they penetrate and absorb the skin more rapidly, making them a suitable choice as the first step in layering.
- It also feels light on the skin.
- Because of the lighter preparation of Serums, they are also a good choice for individuals with oily or acne-prone skin.
- Serums containing Retinols help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Serums containing vitamin C, E, and ferulic acid help protect your skin from ultraviolet(UV) light and pollution, preventing premature skin aging.
- Hyaluronic acid serums reduce dryness and dehydration.
How to apply a face serum?
Most serums work best when applied as a first layer after cleansing your face.
Therefore, Dr. Marnie Nussbaum, a board-certified dermatologist, recommends applying the serum twice a day onto cleansed skin.
She also adds that it should be a base layer under your heavier products like SPF, Moisturizer, and makeup.
You should apply Serums onto cleansed skin, but if the active ingredient of your serum is too drying or irritating, then to create a buffering effect, you can use it over another product, says Shainhouse.
How to choose a face serum?
Basically, no single skin care product can meet all skin health needs. So to pick out the best face serum, you should know which skin concern you’re hoping to target and what goals you have set.
Choosing a face serum according to skin types, such as oily, dry, combination, or aging, is essential. Additionally, one must consider the ingredients contained in the product.
You can choose serum focusing on a single ingredient or a few. Or there are also certain specific formulations that you can use in the daytime and choose different ingredients for bedtime.
Recommended: Top 5 Best Diet Plans of 2022 to Keep You Going
Skin type and Ingredients:
- Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid are great ingredients for the day to nourish, hydrate, and protect your skin.
- Given that in terms of nighttime care, vitamin A, AHAs, BHAs, and peptides are super nourishing options that work best at night.
- Zinc, Niacinamide, and salicylic acid are outstanding elements for skin types prone to congestion and uneven skin tone.
- Hyaluronic acid is best for all skin types but works as a treat for dehydrated skin.
- Vitamin A and its derivatives are used mainly for wrinkles and fine lines.
- Some studies suggest that green tea may help treat acne, rosacea, and atopic dermatitis.
- When anti-aging is your primary concern, serum with retinol (which increases skin cell turnover), glycolic acid, and vitamin C should be used.
People with sensitive skin or who have a known allergy should be cautious while buying the product and thoroughly read all the ingredients given on the label.
Also, people with dry skin should avoid fragrance products to avoid harshness on the skin.
Why Do I Need A Face Serum?
The primary skincare routine includes cleansing, moisturizing, and sunscreen.
As we all know, face serums are not moisturizers, so incorporating a serum into your routine is an additional step to target specific skin concerns.
You must have a serum in your routine to have gorgeous, soothed skin.
Luckily, there are hundreds of options, but serum should be wisely chosen according to your skin type and concern.
We’ve got the top ten face serums below, so keep scrolling to find your new favorite.
SkinCeuticals, C, E & Ferulic Acid
This antioxidant serum by SkinCeuticals is the benchmark, the Holy grail of all serums. It’s a beauty favorite. It is beloved by almost every celebrity, beauty editor, and dermatologist.
The serum is excellent due to its synergistic combination of three pure antioxidants- vitamin C, ferulic acid, and vitamin E to protect your skin from damage.
- CE ferulic is a daytime vitamin C serum that provides visible anti-aging effects.
- Minimizes the appearance of wrinkles
- It helps in loss of firmness, extra plumpness, and reduction in sunspots.
- Brightens skin complexion
- 15% Pure Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid)
- 1% Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
- 0.5% Ferulic Acid
- Quick, visible results
- Its texture is not greasy and quickly absorbs into the skin
- Once absorbed, it remains effective for a minimum of 72 hours
- Strong scent
- Some customers experienced acne breakouts and skin redness.
- Skin type: Dry, Normal, Combination, Sensitive
- Directions: Cleanse and tone your skin. Then apply 4-5 drops of CE Ferulic followed by moisturizer and sunblock.
- Size: 1 fl. Oz./ 30 milliliters (ml)
- Price: $169.00
- Website: CE Ferulic® with 15% L-ascorbic acid | Vitamin C Serum | SkinCeuticals
Recommended: Top 10 Ice Cream Brands In The World
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10%+ Zinc 1%
As the name says, serum enriched with Niacinamide helps you achieve clearer skin by combating acne-causing congestion in pores and reduces the oily shine on your skin.
It is best known for oily skin.
- Gives smooths texture
- Controls excess oil
- Shrink your pores
- Cleans all impurities present on the skin
- Make your skin bright and radiant
- It also removes blemishes and spots
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
- Zinc PCA
- Thick texture
- Not that hydrating
- Skin type: oily and acne-prone skin
- Directions: Apply 4-5 drops on your skin and massage until absorbed. Use it regularly. It can be used during the day and as well as at night.
- Size: 1 oz/ 30 mL
- Price: $11.70
- Website: The Ordinary Niacinamide 10%+ Zinc 1%
CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic acid serum
The product’s name suggests it is a straight-up hydrating serum packed with hyaluronic acid.
Hyaluronic acid is naturally found in the skin and is an essential ingredient for hydration. It decreases when a person ages, so you must replenish it to help prevent dry skin.
It not only has hyaluronic acid in it, which binds moisturizer in your skin but also contains three essential ceramides and Vit-B5 to restore and maintain the skin’s natural protective layer against environmental aggressors.
CeraVe is popularly cherished for its effective and affordable product.
- Replenishes skin’s hydration and provides moisture
- Improves the appearance of dry lines
- Stays for a more extended period
- Prevent water loss from the skin, which ultimately enhances the softness and elasticity of the skin
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Hydrates skin well
- Absorbs nicely into the skin
- Its texture is not sticky
- Best suited with dry skin only
- Skin Type: Normal to dry skin
- Directions: It should be applied to cleansed skin before moisturizer or SPF. One pump is plenty enough to cover the whole face.
- Size: 30 ml
- Price: $18.28
- Website: Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum | CeraVe
Recommended: Top 10 Highest Currencies Around The World in 2022
Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum
Drunk Elephant is always on Sephora’s best-sellers list because of its innovative take on skin “smoothies.” Beauty experts recommend B-Hydra serum for the skin that needs hydration.
It is a moisturizing product that can be used as a serum and a moisturizing cream. It’s light in texture and works great for dry skin by retaining moisture.
B-Hydra serum has become the favorite in beauty as it leaves your face plumpy and hydrated.
- Hydrates the surface of the skin and also the more profound layers
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Minimizes the appearance of fine lines
- Hyaluronic acid
- Pineapple Ceramide
- Vitamin B5
- Suitable for all skin types
- All skin types can use it
- Visible results are seen after using a long time
- Skin type: For all skin types but particularly for dehydrated skin
- Directions Use it every morning after cleanser or toner, then apply moisturizer or sunscreen on top of it. One pump would be enough
- Size: 50 ml
- Price: $48
- Website: B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum | Cruelty-Free – Drunk Elephant
Paula’s Choice (Omega+ Complex Serum)
This serum is claimed to be a superfood for your skin.
It contains concentrated levels of omega acids that eventually help strengthen the surface of skin structure and make it look healthier and smooth.
- Work great for fine lines
- Best for anti-aging also
- Reduce dullness of skin
- Give your skin a hydrated feel
- Provide relief from tight flaky skin
- Omegas 3, 6, and 9
- Hyaluronic acid and shea butter
- Absorbs quickly without leaving residue
- Retain moisture barrier
- Provides long-lasting hydration
- It gives a supple feel to the skin
- Only available online at Paula’s choice
- Skin type: normal combination and, most specifically, dry skin
- Directions: Apply smoothly all over the face and neck. Use it both the time AM and PM and finish with sunscreen in AM.
- Size: 1 oz/ 30 ml
- Price: $39
- Website: Omega+ Complex Serum | Paula’s Choice
Recommended: Top 10 Travel Credit Cards in The USA 2022
Neutrogena (Hydro Boost Hydrating Serum)
Are you tired of flaky, dull skin? Try Neutrogena Hydro Boost to rehydrate and re-energize your skin immensely.
- It gives a smooth and supple glow to your skin
- Deliver hydration
- Attracts and locks moisturizer
- It helps reduce dry lines
- Hyaluronic acid
- Citric Acid
- Instantly absorb into the skin
- Its oil-free, so it does not clog into pores
- Completely odorless
- You need to use two pumps for your face, meaning the amount that pumps out is insufficient.
- Skin type: For all skin types
- Directions: Cleanse and dry your skin, then apply 2-3 drops of serum.
- It can be applied directly onto the skin, or you can take 2 to 3 drops on the palm and mix it with your moisturizer and apply. Avoid contact with eyes. Use it both times, day and night
- Size: 30 ml
- Price: $17.24
- Website: Hydro Boost Hydrating Face Serum with Hyaluronic Acid | NEUTROGENA®
Clinique (Acne Solutions Acne + Line Correcting Serum)
The name defines it as an acne serum for adults experiencing breakouts.
Its gentle, hydrating formula with salicylic acid helps rid skin of oil and dirt and clears blemishes without dryness or irritation.
- Reduce fine lines, wrinkles
- Improves skin texture
- Controls oil and balances your skin
- Gives clear, smooth, and youthful-looking skin
- It helps treat acne without dryness or irritation
- Salicylic acid
- Whey protein
- Acetyl glucosamine and clary sage extract
- Allergy tested
- Not hydrating enough for dry skin
- Skin type: for all skin types
- Directions: First, cleanse your face and neck, then apply 2-3 drops. Use it twice a day. Avoid eye area
- Size: 30 ml
- Price: $47
- Website: Acne Solutions™ Acne + Line Correcting Serum | Clinique
Bioderma Hydrabio Serum
Bioderma claims its hydration serum works excellently to lock and retain skin moisture without clogging pores.
- Hydrates skin
- Provides moisture
- Give soft, smooth skin
- Non-Comedogenic, i.e., this product does not block pores
- Give fresh texture to the skin
- Restores radiance
- It is also used as an excellent makeup base
- Specifically for dry skin
- For some people, fragrance can be irritating
- Skin type: Sensitive and dry skin
- Directions: Apply on your face and neck after gentle cleansing and toning massage until fully absorbed. Use twice a day for the best result
- Size: 40 ml
- Price: $33.99
- Website: Hydrabio Serum | Hydrating care for sensitive, dehydrated skin
Recommended: Top 10 The Weakest Currencies In The World in 2022
SkinCeuticals (Discoloration Defense)
Discoloration Defense is a daily-use spot corrector.
It is proven to reduce discoloration like sun damage, brown spots, post-inflammatory discoloration, stubborn acne marks, etc.
- Reduce dark spots
- Corrects sun damage
- Brighten skin tone
- Continued use minimizes the recurrence of discoloration
- It also works on the appearance of stubborn brown patches
- Improves post-acne marks
- Kojic acid
- Tranexamic acid
- Vitamin B3
- Some people claimed that they had not seen visible results
- Skin type: For all skin types, Acne-prone, combination, dry, sensitive, oily, and normal
- Directions: Put three to five drops on the face and neck after cleansing. Follow with SPF or moisturizer. Use twice daily. Avoid irritated or broken skin. If irritation occurs, discontinue use
- Size: 30ml
- Price: $102
- Website: Discoloration Defense l Skin Discoloration Serum l SkinCeuticals
REN Clean Skincare Evercalm Redness Relief Serum
REN is best for people generally facing redness or irritation on their faces.
- Works great for rosacea
- Reduce redness and irritation
- Albatrellus confluens (White Mushroom Extract)
- Beta Carotene and Biosaccharide
- People claim this product release redness within 20 minutes
- Packaging is recyclable
- It May cause a slight burning sensation
- Skin type: normal, dry, combination, and oily
- Directions: It should be used before moisturizing, once or twice a day.
- Size: 30 ml
- Price: $60
- Website: Evercalm™ Redness Relief Serum | REN Clean Skincare