If you live in Riyadh or are even visiting the city, it is a must to visit one of its most magnificent attractions, The Riyadh Zoo. The place has got something to offer for all age groups.
From coffee shops and restaurants to enjoy delicious food and snacks to a 5D cinema. However, it is a zoo with many exotic animals for you to look at and befriend.
The Riyadh Zoo, with its area of 55 acres, is the largest in the country, established in 1987.
The Zoo is also known as The Malaz Zoo and offers its visitors the chance to see 196 exotic species of animals and 20,000 diverse flora.
Table Of Content
- A Brief History of The Place
- Animals at The Riyadh Zoo
- The Location, Timings, and Entry Fee of the Riyadh Zoo
- Other Facilities At The Riyadh Zoo
- Essential Things to Keep in mind while visiting Riyadh Zoo
- Other Attractions To Visit Near Riyadh Zoo
Riyadh Zoo Entry Fee:
The ticket prices of the Zoo depend on the visitor’s age group.
- For children 12 years and above – SAR 10.50
- Children below the age of 12 – SAR 5.25
- Train ticket price – SAR 2
The tickets are available at the gate or can be booked online from here as well.
Riyadh Zoo Location:
Riyadh Zoo Timings:
Men Only Days:
- Monday: From 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- And from 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Wednesday: From 8:30 pm – 12:00 pm
Women Only Days:
- Tuesday: From 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- And from 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Thursday: From 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- Wednesday, Thursday: From 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Friday: After Jummah Prayer to 6:00 pm
- Saturday: From 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
The Zoo has different timings for each day of the week. Some days are reserved for females or males only, while others are family days.
The opening time of the Zoo is 8:30 am, and it takes about 2 to 3 hours to visit all of the places in the Zoo.
Animals at The Riyadh Zoo
You can enjoy a train tour of the Zoo, home to over 1,500 wildlife animals belonging to 196 species.
You can find animals such as Hyenas, Griffon Vultures, Kangaroos, Tapirs, Lions, Rhinoceros, and beautiful Gazelles here. Riyadh Zoo is well known for holding a variety of some of the most endangered animals in Saudi Arabia
The Zoo also features well-taken care of endangered animal species like Houbara Bustard Birds, Arabian Desert Leopard, and Arabian Oryx.
Visitors can also see Bengal Tigers, native to the Indian subcontinent, and nearly 80 species of birds. The animals are kept in ideal settings that mimic their natural terrains closely.
A Brief History of The Place
Previously established as a Zoological garden in 1957, the government demolished the entire structure of the Riyadh Zoological Gardens in 1981.
It was established as a public zoo in 1987. Many exotic animals from different countries, like Singapore, the U.S., Peru, Australia, Egypt, and Kenya, were imported and made part of the Zoo.
Best time to visit Riyadh Zoo:
The best time to visit this wonderful place is between November to March when the weather is pleasant.
Recommended: Jeddah Jungle Park Saudi Arabia
Other Facilities At The Riyadh Zoo
Apart from the astounding number of animals and plants at the Zoo, it has many other facilities for its visitors, which include:
- Restaurant and Café
- Kiosks for snacks
- 5D cinema
- Prayers areas for men and women
- Outdoor Plaza
- Romanian Theater
- Conservation center
Essential Things to Keep in mind while visiting Riyadh Zoo
Although visiting a zoo is always a fun trip for kids and adults alike, visitors must keep a few things in mind for the safety of the animals and visitors.
These tips will keep your visit enjoyable and memorable.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes since you will need to walk a lot.
- Do not try to enter or get extremely close to animal enclosures.
- Feeding the animals or disturbing them in any way is strictly prohibited at the Zoo.
- Try to keep the place clean and do not litter.
- Always pay attention to sign boards and carefully listen to the staff’s instructions to avoid any inconvenience.
- Visitors cannot bring pets to the Zoo.
- Always look out for your children.
- You can purchase tickets beforehand to avoid long queues.
Other Attractions To Visit Near Riyadh Zoo
Although the Zoo has plenty to offer its visitors, you can enjoy nearby places. Besides visiting the onsite restaurant and café, you can also enjoy delicious meals from excellent restaurants outside.
Some of the best places to enjoy decadent food around the Zoo are Zoo Grill Restaurant, Zaitoon Indian and Chinese Restaurant, The Butcher Shop & Grill, The Sandwich Company, and Yauatcha Riyadh.
After visiting the Zoo and enjoying a delicious meal, you can head out to other places for sightseeing, including King Abdullah Park, Masmak Fortress, Kingdom Centre Tower, Al Faisaliyah Centre, and The Saudi National Museum.